Damage Caused By Squirrels
Squirrels have an uncanny way of finding planted Pecan and Walnut seeds. One way to protect the seed is to plant them in a tin can as shown and outlined below:
- Remove the bottom completely from a no. 2 can.
- Cut an "X" in the other end of the can.
- Pour 1 inch of topsoil in can.
- Place 2 nuts in can.
- Fill can with topsoil and firm lightly.
- Dig hole deep enough for upright can.
- Place can in hole with "X" end up and backfill around the can.
- Carefully bend tips of "X" to make a 1-inch opening. The pointed tips will discourage animals from digging the nuts.