Kansas Forest Service Advisory Council
The purpose of the Advisory Council is to enhance communication to all sectors of Kansas regarding programs of the Kansas Forest Service and to advise on the public and private needs and requirements relating to Kansas Forest Service programs and program directions.
Specifically the Council:
- Reviews Kansas Forest Service programs and budgets and makes recommendations to the State Forester, the University, the Legislature and the Governor regarding the needs of the Kansas Forest Service and the adequacy of its programs and budgets.
- Serves as a sounding board for new programs and consult with and advises the State Forester about programs and priorities.
- Provides the Kansas Forest Service with expertise gained in the administration of other organizations relative to the administrative operations of the Kansas Forest Service.
- Assists in making services and capabilities of the Kansas Forest Service known throughout Kansas.
- Serves as a vehicle for recommending new legislation through appropriate state agencies relative to the mission of the Kansas Forest Service.
- Recommends policy to the State Forester and Kansas State University’s Department Head for Horticulture, Forestry, and Recreation Resources with respect to operational matters.
2022 Kansas Forestry Service Advisory Council Members
|Lynn Miller||Director of Parks and Recreation, Beloit, KS|
|Sarah Crowder||Senior Program Manager, Bridging The Gap/Heartland Tree Alliance|
|Brad Loveless||Secretary, KS Department Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, Topeka, KS|
Executive Director, Kansas Association of Conservation Districts
|Natural Resource Group|
Dir. Conservation Operations, Central, National Wild Turkey Federation
District Biologist, National Wild Turkey Federation
|Kent Askren||Public Policy Director, Kansas Farm Bureau|
|Carolyn Turney (Chair)||Landowner, Lyons County, Emporia, KS. Past Chair, KS Forestry Association|
|Calvin Kissick||Forest Landowner, Sedgwick County KS|
|Senator Tom Hawk||Kansas Senate, District 22; Home County - Riley|
|Rep. Stephen Owens||Kansas House, District 74, Hesston, KS|
Assistant Chief, Hays Fire Department, Hays, KS
|Doug Schmitt||Chief, Soldier Township Fire Department, Shawnee County|
|Brian Obermeyer||Landscape Program Manager, The Nature Conservancy|
|Alan Eckley||Vice President, American Walnut Company, St. Joseph, MO|
|Kent Glasscock||President, KSU Institute for Commercialization|